Thursday 4 September 2014

An open letter to my child's new teacher

Dear teacher,

The start of the new academic session sees my youngest child move to the upper stages of primary school.

This means a lot to my family.  A lot more than first meets the eye.  It's not just a transition to a larger playground and the opportunity to get involved in new school activities.

For my family, this move means that both my children will now walk themselves to and from school.

It means that they'll take responsibility for getting themselves out of my front door and into your classroom on time.

Sounds simple? Here's what else it means for us...

  • They'll need to grab the packed lunch they helped to make from the fridge.

  • They'll have to remember swimming kits and musical instruments. On the correct day.

  • They'll be responsible for looking the way we both expect them to look as a representative of your school and our family.

  • At the end of a long day, they'll need to transfer the notes and homework from their bag to our kitchen table.

And so I need to apologise now.

I need to say sorry for the potential late arrivals, unkempt appearances, forgotten play pieces and missing homework.  I need to say sorry for the disruption caused if one of them has to sit poolside in their school uniform while the rest of the class swims.

So why am I letting this happen, I hear you ask?  Because we've done the lists.  And I've yelled the reminders.  And now I need to let them learn.  Themselves. The hard way.  It's finally time to hand over the ropes.  I anticipate a period of confusion and frustration for all of us.  But I think it'll be worth it in the end. 

You and me? I believe we have a common goal.  To encourage our children to be responsible, independent and well-organised young people.  If my expectations at home can echo your expectations in the classroom, hopefully we can all reap the rewards.

Meanwhile, I'd like to beg your forgiveness.  I realise, after all, that the start of a new term is a challenging time...

Yours sincerely,

A concerned parent

Enjoyed this article? Why not like Average and Proud on facebook or follow me on Twitter?

13 comments:

  1. We are at the other end of this - first week of starting school and trying to teach my son to make a choice for his school dinner when he isn't keen on either option, remembering to go to the toilet and asking for help. Telling me anything - not a chance! #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck with the new beginning - and thanks so much for visiting and commenting.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant. I agree that it's a good idea what you're doing. Will help in the transition to secondary school. #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed indeed! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. You've made some very good points! I'd love to recall this when my son is older. #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tarana. Really appreciate you visiting and commenting - I'm enjoying your posts too.

      Delete
  4. My sentiments entirely. Once mine reached year 6, they were all making their own packed lunches (including the sandwiches) and I stopped driving up to school to bring forgotten instruments and PE kits. Unfortunately they have to learn the hard way in this house but when they've done it once, they won't do it again! The only problem is....we have to swallow our pride in wanting teachers and other parents to think we're perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne - I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's letting go of our own perfectionist tendencies that's the hard part! Thanks for the back up :-)

      Delete
  5. Makes complete sense to me. I hope your teachers agree! Great post. Hello from Maddie at Gammon & Chips #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maddie - I hope so too! Thanks very much for taking the time to visit and comment.

      Delete
  6. I totally and utterly agree! When Grace moves to middle school, I shall be giving her the same responsibilities (although I am sort of easing them across to her at the moment). If their teachers are any good then they will completely understand. Thank you for linking to PoCoLo :) X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria - thanks for taking the time to comment (I don't know how you get through all our posts!). It was great to read about your summer and it's lovely to have you back at PoCoLo :-) x

      Delete
  7. Awww I think that the teachers know that this is an adjusting period and would forgive these things. #pocolo

    ReplyDelete